[tex-hyphen] Procedure for adding alternative patterns

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Sep 30 00:54:03 CEST 2017

On 2017-09-29 at 11:09:26 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > You may attach files up to a certain size (not sure about the exact
 > settings for this mailing list, but attaching text files should be
 > no problem). In case of bigger documents, they should be uploaded
 > somewhere else first (or potentially sent off-list).

If you intend to send text files which contain non-ASCII characters by
email, I recommend to attach a compressed archive file like .zip or
.tar.gz containing them instead.

The attached file is much smaller then and if the recipient is able to
extract files from the archive, he can be sure that the files are not
modified by programs involved in email transfer.

Text files are less reliable because email clients probably try to be
smart and re-encode them without any warning.  Binary files are marked
as "application/octet-stream" and all email clients I'm aware of do
not touch binary files.  Furthermore, archives like .zip or .tar.gz
retain meta-data of the files therein, such as time stamps, file
permissions, etc.

Thus I think that compressed archives containing hyphenation pattern
files can always be sent to mailing lists.  Even the huge Hungarian
patterns are not too big when being compressed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de