[tex-hyphen] An inquiry about hyphenator license

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Aug 27 17:09:13 CEST 2017

On 08/26/2017 10:04 AM, Loretta L wrote:
> Hi,
> Have you got my email?

Hi Loretta,

your message was received in the mailing list:
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-hyphen/2017-August/001617.html. (BTW,
aren’t you subscribed to it?)

> I am Loretta. I am developing my APP now. I am writing to ask could
> you tell me the license of EN
> <http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/collaboration/repository/hyphenator/en_us.js>
> and FR
> <http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/collaboration/repository/hyphenator/fr.js> hyphenators on
> your website?

The standard warnings: I’m not a lawyer and this isn’t legal advice. If
you need it, please hire a lawyer.

The English hyphenation patterns (the original ones from TeX) should be
under the same license as TeX itself.

The French hyphenation patterns seem to be under a MIT license
(https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT).

>  May I use them in my APP?

As long as you comply with the licenses’ terms.

I think (but you have to check it before doing anything) that including
the copyright notice and the permission text would be fine.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk