[tex-hyphen] String preparation

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed May 25 20:09:52 CEST 2016

> I agree that "œ+combining acute" should be treated the same as œ, but
> should it count as 1 or two characters (o+e) for the
> right/left/hyphenmin? I'm not sure about that, but maybe some would
> treat it as two characters....

  It’s one grapheme; if you want to treat as two characters, for example
in order to allow a break after œ and œ́ at the start of a word, set
\lefthyphenmin to 1 and write the patterns in such a way that they
prohibit a break after any other single-character word start.  There’s
nothing special about that.

> Is there a place where these problems/issues are tracked?

  We just migrated the hyph-utf8 repository to GitHub and could use the
tracker there, but most of the issues in this thread warrant a wider
discussion; there is not much we can do in hyph-utf8 alone.  And
questions for individual files, such as the one above, are clearly the
purview of people responsible for that file.

	Best,

		Arthur