[tex-hyphen] String preparation

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Wed May 25 10:18:51 CEST 2016

Dear All,

> However a bit of further discussion might be in place. I believe that
> we should start supporting equivalence classes at some point. At
> least for my mother tongue many characters are absolutely equivalent
> (for example o = ó = ò = ô; they don't even change the meaning of the
> word).

There is the same issue with liturgical latin where a e i o u y æ œ can
take an acute without changing their meaning at all. Maybe i and u could
be treated in a slightly different way with patterns because when they
take acute they cannot be consonnants, which changes the hyphenation;
but for the other letters, an equivalent class would reduce the number
of patterns.

> We currently have "œ + combining acute" in one of the patterns and
> that one is also "a bit problematic" because it should be treated as
> a single glyph (and probably isn't).

I agree that "œ+combining acute" should be treated the same as œ, but
should it count as 1 or two characters (o+e) for the
right/left/hyphenmin? I'm not sure about that, but maybe some would
treat it as two characters....

Is there a place where these problems/issues are tracked? the TODO file
of the repository is quite messy...

Thank you,
--
Elie