[tex-hyphen] Names of files in OFFO

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Mar 17 09:05:16 CET 2016

Am Thu, 17 Mar 2016 00:41:23 +0100 schrieb Claudio Beccari:

>> [latin hyphenation variants]
>>
>> A bit of-topic: On tex.sx there was some time ago a question about
>> how to combine modern and classic greek in one document with babel
>> and I saw that there is no simple way to do it.
>>
>> How is the situation for latin? Would it be possible to use the
>> variants (along with the hyphenation patterns) side by side like you
>> could do it e.g. for german and ngerman?

> I never tried to mix modern and classic latin, but I suppose that with
> polyglossia it might be possible, thanks to the possibility of changing
> settings with \PolyglossiaSetup, and/or to specify the same secondary
> (other) language with different options again and again.
> As far as I know babel, it seems that once babel ha read the language
> options and their modifiers or attributes, the situation remains frozen.
> May be I am wrong.

The babel code certainly push to think in this way. But imho nothing
prevents a language.ldf author to setup  internally three
(independant) languages, e.g. classiclatin, medievallatin,
modernlatin, and then to map latin to one of them depending of the
options/attributes. Then the other would be still available.

But as this questions doesn't affect only latin but other languages
with modifiers too it should be perhaps better be handled by babel
in some way.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/