[tex-hyphen] A "short" summary of the licence-related meeting

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jan 16 01:54:22 CET 2016

    - GPL: theoretically fine as long as the data is dynamically loaded,
    but they want to avoid problems

Not that I care, but for the record: that is not the theory according to
the FSF.  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLStaticVsDynamic

    In the long-term perspective it could make sense if pattern authors
    would agree with giving the copyright to the Unicode consortium or
    TUG,

In my view, Unicode would be a much more desirable copyright holder than
TUG, because Unicode has the staff and resources to create the copyright
assignment forms and administer the process.  Also, perhaps even more
importantly, Unicode is much more likely to exist as an organization
into the indefinite future.  Finally, hyphenation patterns per se are an
asset to the whole world of typesetting, not just TeX.

However, all this seems like speculation.  Good luck getting the
copyright holders to agree to assign their copyright to anyone.  I can
imagine that it would actually end up being far more practical for
Google to recreate patterns from scratch with the desired licenses.  -k