[tex-hyphen] A "short" summary of the licence-related meeting

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Jan 16 14:19:16 CET 2016

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 12:54:22AM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     - GPL: theoretically fine as long as the data is dynamically loaded,
>     but they want to avoid problems
>
> Not that I care, but for the record: that is not the theory according to
> the FSF.  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLStaticVsDynamic

  This addresses issues of linking a library; do you think it also
applies to the loading of external files?  This is how patterns are
currently used under Android, as I understand.  It was explicitly
mentioned in the discussion.

> However, all this seems like speculation.  Good luck getting the
> copyright holders to agree to assign their copyright to anyone.  I can
> imagine that it would actually end up being far more practical for
> Google to recreate patterns from scratch with the desired licenses.  -k

  Actually, we already got at least one maintainer who explicitly agreed
to it, although it’s not completely clear that he understood he was
doing so.

	Best,

		Arthur