[tex-hyphen] a question about "office"

Claudio Beccari claudio.beccari at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 19:55:04 CET 2016

As far as I know compound word made up with an hyphen in between don't
get hyphenated even with with plain TeX, except at the hyphen. I don't
see whi ConTeXt or LuaTeX should behave differently.

Run this minimal working example: we have single words, the same words
combined with a hyphen sign and the same words glued together.

You easily notice the differnece; of course you can run the MWE with
pdflatex, xelatex and lualtex; I don't know how to run a modified
version with ConTeXt; I know that it does not work with plain tex, but
it would not be a problem to use the \showhhyphens macro; the little
difference is that the environment checkhyphens prints the hyphenated
words in theoutput file; \shouwhyphens prints the hyphenated word in th
log file.

Claudio

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{testhyphens}