[tex-hyphen] a question about "office"

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Thu Feb 4 21:13:52 CET 2016

On 02/04/2016 08:28 PM, Barbara Beeton wrote:
> dear pablo,
>
> you wrote,
>
>     according to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/office, US
>     English hyphenation for "office" should be "of-fice",
>
> this is definitely correct.
>
>     Well, I tried to check this with ConTeXt and I get "office". I don?t
>     know whether there is an issue with this.
>
> there are a couple of things involved:
>  - the english hyphenation patterns
>    have to be loaded;
>  - the setting \lefthyphenmin=2 has
>    to be set.

You are right, Barbara. I was actually testing "LibreOffice" and I get
"Li-bre-Office" when using ConTeXt fonts and "Li-bre-Of-fice" with
MinionPro (installed on my OS, not in ConTeXt).

>     Could anyone confirm me which are the hyphenation points in US English
>     for "office"? (Sorry, I don?t have LaTeX installed.)
>
> this doesn't need latex; the "original"
> tex will suffice.  to test:
>  - at the command line, enter  tex
>  - at a ** prompt, enter  \relax <cr>
>  - \showhyphens{office} <cr>
> that will show the expected hyphenation.

I’m afraid tex seems not to be provided with the ConTeXt Suite.

> you said you didn't have latex installed,
> but didn't mention tex itself.  since you
> have context installed, you probably have
> tex; if you don't, this formula won't help,
> but it's what i did to check.
>
>     Many thanks for your help,
>
> i'm not a member of the "hyphenation
> group", but i *am* the keeper of the
> (u.s.) english hyphenation exceptions
> list, so this interests me.

I guess the issue is related to ConTeXt or LuaTeX.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk