[tex-hyphen] Renaming plain pattern files in hyph-utf8: feedback?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 08:28:41 CEST 2016

(I'm removing a few people from CC because I'm not sure if they want
to get involved in a longer discussion, but they need to be aware of
the changes.)

On 11 April 2016 at 07:33, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> We also need a reasonable name for the complete collection of those
>> patterns.  Something like "plain"?
>
> I don't see the need for this additional directory level.  Why not
> simply omitting, i.e.
>
>   tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/plain/el/
>
> would become
>
>   tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/el/
>
> Everything else sounds very sensible.

The problem is that we already have:

- patterns/tex/hyph-<lang>.tex
  (original tex file with patterns)
- patterns/ptex/hyph-<lang>.<enc>.tex
  (auto-generated 8-bit patterns needed for pTeX; theoretically useful
in any 8-bit engine;
   patterns encoded as "z1^^ba" for example)
- patterns/tex-8bit/copthyph.tex
  (only a single file for Coptic with some super weird contents
   other "similar" patterns are for Greek: grahyph5.tex, grmhyph5.tex,
grphyph5.tex)
- patterns/quote/hyph-quote-<lang>.tex
  (auto-generated files with duplicated patterns with apostrophe, U+2019 / ’)

If we would put language names in parallel to those directory names,
the existing directories would "get lost" in the sea of languages.

Of course we could sort the files according to language and then put
all files belonging to a specific language to one folder, but then we
would end up in a weird mixture of original and auto-generated files
which would be both slightly annoying for us (and we are already
getting contributions from pattern authors who send us all the files
that we would auto-generate (= lost effort) along with the original
contribution).

Another option would be to change "patterns/tex", "patterns/ptex",
"patterns/tex-8bit", "patterns/quote", "patterns/txt" into single
folders like "patterns-original", "patterns-8bit", "patterns-quote",
"patterns-somethingelse", ...

Plus, I believe that we need a short document explaining some weird
names like mul-ethi, la-x-classic, de-1901, ... so that anyone else
using the patterns outside of the TeX would would get at least a
slight idea what these are.