[tex-hyphen] Naming of Serbo-Croatian patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 23:32:33 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Nikola Lečić wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 02:00:47PM +0200
>>  Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> I'm almost sure that users of babel expect
>> \usepackage[serbian]{babel}
>> to work, not \usepackage[serbocroatian]{babel}.
>
> Indeed. Unfortunately, as we all know, the question of Serbo-Croatian
> language is not only philological and technical, but also a political
> one, and thus cannot be resolved on this mailing list. Therefore I'd
> suggest to follow the simple logic. As the author, Dejan has the right
> to name and describe his package as he pleases. Mojca, as the
> distribution author, has the right to make the usage of that package
> as easy and straightforward as possible. Accessing Dejan's work e.g.
> through '\usepackage[serbian]{babel}' in TeX Live doesn't break any
> licensing rules.
>
> So, in the case of the aforementioned web-page, the solution is to use
> two columns (one with the original package descriptions). In babel- or
> TL-specific cases the distribution makers has the right to organize
> their meta-work as they please.

Yes, I'm certainly aware of the fact that political question is way
more important to people than the linguistic one in this case and I
would certainly like to avoid endless and pointless political
discussions. I would like to package files in such a way that the
majority of users will be happy.

I fully agree with calling the patterns Serbo-Croatian on the low
level (and maybe also to present them as such). And we certainly need
to keep using Serbian inside language.dat for Babel. But I'm looking
for technical suggestions about the best way to handle the
intermediate files and names. Include the best way to merge patterns
together from two scripts into a single file. And the best way to
package them for projects outside of the TeX world.

(And I'm seriously curious how people in the neighbouring countries
use TeX when writing in their native language.)