[tex-hyphen] hyphen.tex and hyph-en-us.pat.tex

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Jan 28 13:57:19 CET 2014

Am 28.01.2014 13:01, schrieb Philip Taylor:

> future, it would probably be better to write a portable script that
> can extract the "pure text" content from the canonical source as and
> when needed.

Before doing that I thought I'd better ask around. :-)

OK, to add to LaTeX's hyphenation catas-trophe and catastrophe here's
plain LuaTeX's hyphenation:

> $ luatex "\showhyphens{catastrophe}\bye"
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0 (TeX Live 2013/W32TeX) (rev 4627)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
>
> Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 0
> [][] \tenrm catas-tro-phe

and I can re-trace that with the Lua script:

> $ echo catastrophe | texlua debug_spots.lua -p hyphen-pure.tex
> boundary letter: '.'
> spot mins: 2 2
> pattern file: ./hyphen-pure.tex
> 4447 patterns read.
>
>  . c a t a s t r o p h e .
>   1c a
>  . c a4t
>       1t a
>      a2t a
>            s t4r
>          a s1t r
>                 2o p h
>              t r o5p h e
>  .0c0a4t0a0s1t4r2o5p0h0e0.
> catas-tro-phe

(But note that the Lua script does the equivalent of \righthyphenmin=2,
by default.)

Can anyone shed some light on why using Babel and Polyglossia leads to
different hyphenation?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig