[tex-hyphen] Outstanding question about Hebrew and Greek hyphenation patterns

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:56:06 CEST 2013

On 20/9/13 07:40, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> (was: [tex-live] Outstanding questions)
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:
>>
>> 0) [Context: Hebrew] So all that we need is LHM=3, RHM=3, and
>> patterns that permit hyphenation between all possible pairs of Hebrew
>> characters that represent letters;
>
> If hyphenation is allowed between any two letters, the patterns are
> trivial (see hyph-mul-ethi.tex), but you can also automatically insert
> "zero width breakable space" between all pairs of letters if you are
> working with XeTeX. A third solution in XeTeX would be to use the
> right locale which would break automatically (like in Thai).

No, this last option won't help. Phil is not looking for normal
(inter-word) line breaking behavior, but for hyphenation (intra-word
breaks). \XeTeXlinebreaklocale won't do that. (Nor would it insert
hyphens, anyway.)

But as I noted a few days ago in the TL thread ("Install TeX Live
20130914 failed"), the patterns required to provide this kind of
hyphenation would be pretty trivial to write.

JK