[tex-hyphen] Enable hyphenation of first word

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 1 23:28:20 CET 2013

On 1/1/13 14:51, Pander wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For some non-standard usage I need to enable hyphenation on the first
> word of a sentence. I discovered that this is not enabled by default.

(I assume you mean the first word of a _paragraph_, not sentence.)

> With some help from Piet van Oostrum I got it working by inserting an
> explicit glue, such as \hskip 0pt plus 0pt, before the first word.

The TeXbook mentions this, and suggests a solution in the form of an
\allowhyphens macro (see appendix D).

I believe some LaTeX packages (including Babel?) provide a definition of
\allowhyphens, but it may not be part of the base format.

JK