[tex-hyphen] shortdesd, longdesc of hyphen-<language> & CTAN

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 11:00:40 CEST 2011

Dear Karl,

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 01:09, Karl Berry wrote:

> Will there be an update of hyph-utf8 for TL'11?

Apart from what I wrote earlier, I plan to write "shortdesc" and
"longdesc" into tlpsrc. Currently the strings are randomly taken from
CTAN catalogue, often stating that "this package is deprecated" (as it
really links to the old hyphenation patterns where CTAN team added
that it is obsolete to use those old patterns). The majority of
packages entirely lacks any description at all.

Do you have any particular requests of what I should put there? I plan
to create a short description
    "Hyphenation patterns for English/Polish/Lao/..."
and a long description containing:
- author(s)
- encoding for 8bit engine
- (if something special has to be told, like in case of german that
loads different patterns for 8bit and utf8 engines)

Anything else?

And once I do that ... I'm still thinking about the idea to
auto-generate a CTAN-friendly version of hyph-utf8. That is, a special
folder hyphen-<language>, where each language would contain (symbolic
links to):
- hyph-foo.tex
- loadhyph-foo.tex
- conversion file used for utf8->8bit (not sure about that)
- hyph-foo.{pat,hyp,lic,chr}.txt (not sure about that)
- phyph-foo.tex (not sure about that)
- some readme file explaining what is there, what needs to be edited
in case of changes and with a link to the original file if needed
- (and then we could also have a proper entry in CTAN catalogue
pointing to the folder in question)

Any comments about that? (Hmmm, and I would probably need to extract
the licence somehow?)
In case that we go though all the files & languages and would want to
contribute to entries in CTAN catalogue - what else is needed for
that?