[tex-hyphen] ptex-specific patterns

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Sun May 30 00:26:27 CEST 2010

Hi Mojca,

> Akira's email seems to be bouncing (maybe I need to use another one),
> but here are some observations (tested on TL 2010). I have tested with
> command line
>     ptex -ini -jobname=platex -progname=platex platex.ini
> and tried to replace
>     slovenian sihyph-ptex.tex
> with
>     slovenian loadhyph-sl.tex
> in
>     texmf-dist/tex/ptexgeneric/config/language.ptx
>
> The first thing that I have noticed was the following:
>      UTF-8 Slovenian Hyphenation Patterns
> so it seems that the code recognizes the engine to be UTF-8 (contrary
> to Omega :)

ptex understands UTF-8 encoding (the default of ptex in TeXLive),
however ptex is not a native UTF-8 engine. Therefore the
engine test code in loadhyph-*.tex etc. should be something like

\ifx\kanjiskip\undefined
  \ifx\secondarg\empty
     (UTF-8)
  \else
     (Other)
  \fi
\else
  (Other)
\fi

Furthermode, ptex is not a native 8bit engine, because
it regards particular sequences of bytes as Japanese
characters. Therefore 8bit pattern files should be
replaced by using ^^ab expressions.

Thanks,
Akira