[tex-hyphen] ptex-specific patterns

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 29 01:21:42 CEST 2010

    Is there anything we can do in hyph-utf8 to eliminate the need for a
    duplicate (some of them old and unmaintaned) set of patterns?

Thanks for offering.

The needed changes are nothing insurmountable.  We (akira/karl/norbert)
actually considered co-opting you-all already :).

But overall it seemed like a lot of work, for everyone involved, with
not enough return.  Just getting p(la)tex working *at all* is a major
step.  It seemed (and still seems) better to leave the necessary pattern
+ babel + language file cleanup for another time.  Meanwhile, p(la)tex
will operate just as it always has in its non-TL incarnation, which
seems like a good place to start.

So ... later.

Thanks,
Karl

P.S. Looking ahead: technically, the biggest thing is that ptex cannot
read the 8-bit files since the 8-bit chars don't work as such in the
Japanese encodings.  They have to be convered to use ^^.  That is
essentially what the *-ptex.tex patterns are about.