[tex-hyphen] tamil and malayalam

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 15:57:26 CET 2010

2010/3/16 François Charette wrote:
> On 16/03/2010 01:16, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> 2010/3/15 François Charette wrote:
>>
>>> someone has posted new hyphenation patterns for Malayalam and
>>> Tamil today. Should I forward them to you or to this list?
>
> No idea where the patterns are from.

Where did that person post the patterns?

> The file header only says they used a
> script developed by Yves Codet and Jonathan Kew to generate them. My guess
> is that they are derived from the Aspell ones:
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html
> (or perhaps the equivalent DIC files for hunspell under OpenOffice).

I would like to see the files ... if nothing else to figure out where
they come from. It would make sense to take them from original
repository.

>> I do not want to spam the list too much, so it's ok to send it
>> privately. But ... we didn't add any of those languages to repository
>> yet in case that you are not talking about Sanskrit (there are about
>> 10 different patterns available).
>
> No, Tamil and Malayalam are Dravidian languages, each with their own script,
> and thus completeley unrelated to Sanskrit :)

OK. I just wasn't sure since the Sanskrit patterns also have
"Malayalam", whatever that means.

>> 1.) I would like to leave that joy to Arthur.
>> 2.) If we add them all, that means that pdftex will also load those
>> extra ten languages.
>
> Well, there is indeed an inflationary risk. But not all hyphenation patterns
> need to be activated by default. TeX distributions like MikTeX and TeX Live
> can decide whether the patterns for non-Western languages that are only
> usable with xetex or luatex should be commented out by default or not.

In my opinion it makes little sense to activate them by default, but
on the other hand a complete TeX Live installation loads *all* the
patterns since installing a package is equal to activating the
patterns (at least in TeX Live). MikTeX has some graphical user
interface to choose which patterns to install.