[tex-hyphen] tamil and malayalam

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Tue Mar 16 15:02:24 CET 2010

On 16/03/2010 01:16, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> 2010/3/15 François Charette wrote:
>
>> someone has posted new hyphenation patterns for Malayalam and
>> Tamil today. Should I forward them to you or to this list?
>>
> Do you mean for hyph-sa.tex or as a separate language, that is: the ones from
>      http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smc.git/
> ?

No idea where the patterns are from. The file header only says they used
a script developed by Yves Codet and Jonathan Kew to generate them. My
guess is that they are derived from the Aspell ones:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html
(or perhaps the equivalent DIC files for hunspell under OpenOffice).

> I do not want to spam the list too much, so it's ok to send it
> privately. But ... we didn't add any of those languages to repository
> yet in case that you are not talking about Sanskrit (there are about
> 10 different patterns available).

No, Tamil and Malayalam are Dravidian languages, each with their own
script, and thus completeley unrelated to Sanskrit :)

> 1.) I would like to leave that joy to Arthur.
> 2.) If we add them all, that means that pdftex will also load those
> extra ten languages.

Well, there is indeed an inflationary risk. But not all hyphenation
patterns need to be activated by default. TeX distributions like MikTeX
and TeX Live can decide whether the patterns for non-Western languages
that are only usable with xetex or luatex should be commented out by
default or not.

François