[tex-hyphen] German patterns in TL2010

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Jun 2 19:40:14 CEST 2010

Le 02/06/2010 14:42, Stephan Hennig a écrit :
> Am 02.06.2010 12:34, schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:
>> Well, in normal operation, the two files are generated from the same
>> information. If someone wants to modify one of the files manually
>> (that is,
>> using the language-local.dat(.lua) files), then it's up to him to
>> ensure that.
>
> What about generating language.dat from language.dat.lua, if the latter
> file exists (by fmtutil)?  I guess, I'm not a big fan of the top-level
> configuration files being distribution specific (.tlp*).

What would be the point? And what if a user wants to modify its language.dat
without even knowin about language.dat.lua because he's not using LuaTeX? Also,
in the future it is quite probable that language.dat.lua may contain more
entries than language.dat: for LuaTeX, language.dat list the language that are
allocated statically, language.dat.lua provides information about dynamic
dynamically...

> Well, TeX has never followed the KISS approach.  But I'd prefer not to
> add to the complexity if there is no gain.

There ias additional complexity only in the eye of a human reader of
language.dat.lua. From a code point of view, not using a field of a table is not
exactly complex ;-)

>> The loaders are still used by other engines now.
>
> But those all gather the information from language.dat, no?

Right. That's why, I repeat, the 'loader' field in languages.dat.lua is
completely useless, and is not used, as stated in the documentation.

At some point, it was there, and I never had a clear reason for removing it, so
I didn't remove it. If I had known it would lead to such confusion, I would had
removed it straight from the beginning.

Manuel.