[tex-hyphen] German patterns in TL2010

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Thu Jun 3 00:16:45 CEST 2010

Am 02.06.2010 19:40, schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:
> Le 02/06/2010 14:42, Stephan Hennig a écrit :
>> Am 02.06.2010 12:34, schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:
>>> Well, in normal operation, the two files are generated from the same
>>> information. If someone wants to modify one of the files manually
>>> (that is,
>>> using the language-local.dat(.lua) files), then it's up to him to
>>> ensure that.
>>
>> What about generating language.dat from language.dat.lua, if the latter
>> file exists (by fmtutil)?  I guess, I'm not a big fan of the top-level
>> configuration files being distribution specific (.tlp*).
>>
> What would be the point?

The idea is to make is easier keeping language.dat and language.dat.lua
in sync without messing with .tlp* files (who are not editable anyway).

> And what if a user wants to modify its language.dat
> without even knowin about language.dat.lua because he's not using LuaTeX?

fmtutil could emit a message when overwriting language.dat.

> Also, in the future it is quite probable that language.dat.lua may
> contain more entries than language.dat: for LuaTeX, language.dat
> list the language that are allocated statically, language.dat.lua
> provides information about dynamic loading. One could imagine a
> system with languages allocated and loaded dynamically...

It's just an idea.  If it doesn't seem useful, never mind.

> Right. That's why, I repeat, the 'loader' field in languages.dat.lua is
> completely useless, and is not used, as stated in the documentation.
>
> At some point, it was there,

Voilà!

> and I never had a clear reason for removing it,  so I didn't remove it.

Could you add that sentence to the documentation, please?  That would
make things crystal clear. ;-)

Seriously, I'm not pushing further.  It's your choice (and work, of course).

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig