[tex-hyphen] Fwd: Polyglossia + Serbian Cyrillic hyphenation

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 13:36:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 23:14, Francois Charette wrote:
>  On 26/07/2010 14:43, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>>>
>>> At the moment one has option [script=Latin] and [script=Cyrillic] in
>>> Polyglossia, maybe one could also have an option [script=All] or
>>> script=Both or something similar
>>
>>   That might be useful in case one needs to use both scripts in the same
>> document, but that's a different issue, and that still doesn't solve the
>> problem we have in Babel.
>
> Also keep in mind that Script=All or Both makes no sense, as the option
> determines not only which hyphenation patterns to load, but also the
> definitions of captions and date formatting...

Sure. I'm aware of that. I'm only saying that having an option that
loads both patterns and keeps just one script for labels might make
sense.

> I'd prefer to have:
> serbian loadhyph-sr-cyrl.tex
> =serbiancyr
> serbianlat loadhyph-sr-latn.tex
>
> Wdyt?

That is a question for Serbians that also needs to take Babel in
account. For Polyglossia it probably doesn't make a difference at all
how they are called in language.dat; the important thing is to keep
Polyglossia and language.dat in sync.

We've chosen "serbian" for Latin script in 2008 just because
serbian.ldf was using Latin labels, but before 2008 "serbian" was in
fact loading the Cyrillic patterns (so the name is not really set in
stone). The best would be to have "serbianc" and "serbianl" for
example, but at the end it's irrelevant how they are called.