[tex-hyphen] No hyphenmin for French?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun Jul 18 16:58:44 CEST 2010

  On Columbus Day 2008, Karl Berry wrote:

> Why no \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin values for French in
> hyph-utf8?  Can French hyphens really happen at one lettr-
> e ?

  Ha!  I just found an example in a book[*] I'm reading: État (State) is
hyphenated É-tat.  I don't think this is particularily good taste and
even find it disruptive, which is probably why I noticed it; I wasn't
paying any particular attention to typography.

	Arthur

[*] Laurence de Cock, Fanny Madeline, Nicolas Offenstadt, Sophie
Wahnich, _Comment Nicolas Sarkozy écrit l'histoire de France_, Agone,
2008, p. 82, l. 13.