[tex-hyphen] OT: broken hyphenation in OOo

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:37:32 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 12:17, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 13:31, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>
>> Based on a discussion on some local mailing list I have realized that
>> hyphenation of Slovenian documents in OOo is *completely* and
>> miserably wrong (in any case: different than the one in TeX).
>>
>> Does anyone have any single idea where to start "debugging"?
>
> AFAIK, they use the libhyphen library.  Maybe a bug crept in...

I have just figured out that patterns for OOo need preprocessing for
some reason (claiming that it's about optimization - it seems to
concatenate several sub-patterns together). Plus, UTF-8 seems to be
broken until new version of OOo is released.

Hyphenation started working much better after we preprocessed the
patterns, but I started wondering how many other incompatibilities we
might have introduced by simply "importing" patterns from OOo into TeX
and how many other authors did the same mistake with conversion.