[tex-hyphen] Customizing patterns

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Feb 7 01:11:05 CET 2010

    - create a file localeshyph.conf with those setting
    - recreate formats, so that if that file exists an
    additional set of patters is created (iir, it's
    possible without modifying language.dat - to be tested).

Oh?  How is localeshyph.conf going to be read?

If it can be done independently of language.dat/def, then ok.

My concern was that tlmgr (and the miktex equivalent, I believe)
automatically updates language.dat/def (and fmtutil.cnf), so having
users modify it would not be good.

Users can add personal definitions with an auxiliary file
(language-local.dat, et al.) but few know about this and even fewer
(maybe none :) make use of it.

Also, although the language files don't often change between releases,
it can happen.  And when it does, the formats are automatically
regenerated (by running fmtutil).  Hopefully that will continue to work,
otherwise this new "localeshyph.conf" entries will get lost.

Thanks,