[tex-hyphen] Customizing patterns

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Mon Feb 8 11:23:45 CET 2010

Hi Karl,

> Oh?  How is localeshyph.conf going to be read?
>
> If it can be done independently of language.dat/def, then ok.
>
> My concern was that tlmgr (and the miktex equivalent, I believe)
> automatically updates language.dat/def (and fmtutil.cnf), so having
> users modify it would not be good.

This is the very reason I'm investigating how to do
it. No doubt there is a way, but which one, considering
there are several formats and engines?

By the way, I've wrote already a very compact selector:

Define:

\def\include#1{1\localhyphenignore#11}
\def\switchpatterns#1#2{\if#1#20\fi}
\let\localhyphenignore\empty

So that in patterns you write:

plan4c5t
\if\include{A}
2no.
\fi
4caca4

Thus, you can exclude 2no. by writing in the local config
file:

\def\localhyphenignore#1{\switchpatterns#1A}

Not very user-friendly, indeed, but patterns are never
user-friendly and at this level I think simpler is better
(more user-frienlyly ways to do that could be left to higher
levels, like formats, packages...).

Cheers
Javier