[tex-hyphen] Cannot find working German hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:06:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 17:03, Vladimirs Gluskovs wrote:

> Dear Mojca Miklavec and Arthur Reutenauer,
>
> I have copied fop-hyph.jar to {fop}/build directory, as it is documented in
> Installation instruction.
>
> Then I try to run FOP to format document  containing one  <fo:block>  of
> German text and following attributes:
>
>         hyphenate="true"
>         language="de"
>         white-space-collapse="true"
>
>         hyphenation-character="-"
>         hyphenation-remain-character-count="2"
>         hyphenation-push-character-count="2"
>
> I get messages:
>
> Error building hyphenation tree for language de
> Couldn't find hyphenation pattern de
>
> With  language="en" hyphenation works nice!!
>
> Couldn't you say why "de" (and "ge" as well) does not work ?

Dear Vladimir,

I'm afraid that I cannot be of much help ...

First of all ... I had no idea what program you were talking about and
where you got the file that you have mentioned.

By googling around I have found this page:
http://offo.sourceforge.net/index.html, but it includes three
different zip files with three different files called fop-hyph.jar.
Some are in XML and some are in some binary format that I didn't try
to understand.

The one in XML contains patterns that have been created before we took
up the work on patterns. As far as I was able to figure out, we didn't
know about them and they didn't know about us, so unless you have some
other or newer files from some other source (which might be the case),
I didn't find any connection between our project and that one.

Sorry, I don't know anything about DocBook (if that's what you are
talking about) and I'm afraid that you should ask the ones that have
compiled the patterns about details and for help of your particular
problem.

But ... I'm still curious where you got the contact as the site I
managed to find doesn't point to us. It would still be nice to
cooperate with others that make use of TeX patterns.