[tex-hyphen] Lithuanian

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 00:56:38 CEST 2008

Hello,

while browsing through
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries I have found an
interesting thing:

Language: Lithuanian (lt_LT)
Origin: TeX hyphenation tables by Sigitas Tolusis and Vytas
        Statulevicius.  The original tables can be found at
        http://www.vtex.lt/tex/download/zip/texmf.zip as lthyphen.tex.
Author: Converted to OOo format by Albertas Agejevas <alga at akl.lt>
License: LaTeX Project Public Licence

They seem to be using two different encodings (there might be more,
like cp1257, but that's probably almost equal to Latin7):

lithuanian       latin7lt.tex   %% Latin 7
lithuaniantex    lthyphen.tex   %% TeX LT (modified T1)

It's no problem to add those patterns to hyph-utf8, but:
- in 8-bit engines it probably makes no sense without proper support
(all the other files)
- in XeTeX it might be useful, but one still needs at least ldf files
or polyglossia

Another problem with 8-bit engines is the same one as with
Russian/Mongolian/Ukrainian ... multiple encodings, solved in yet
another way. They have two languages defined (like in Mongolian), but
they are using the same patterns from two sources (duplicated and
slightly modified).

I remember some user asking for support in ConTeXt once, but he
disappeared. Apart from that I don't know anything. Maybe everyone is
using VTeX/littex (http://www.vtex.lt/tex/littex/)? Any other reason
why these packages are not on CTAN? I'll try to contact the authors.

Anothe