[tex-hyphen] Greek hyphenation patterns

Apostolos Syropoulos ijdt.editor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:09:25 CEST 2008

2008/6/19 Peter Heslin <p.j.heslin at durham.ac.uk>:

> The root meaning of "capitalize" (from "caput") refers to the practice
> of making the first letter in a word uppercase in proper names, at the
> start of a sentence, etc.  In this usage, in the traditional
> typography of ancient Greek, capital letters do not lose their
> accents; they shift position.

Correct.

> On the other hand, when an entire word is set in uppercase, these
> letters do lose their accents, traditionally.  The Unicode standard is
> not well equipped to articulate this distinction -- indeed, it
> deliberately ignores this situation.

Also correct and that is what I was  saying all these days.

> I think that the correct level for this typographic practice to be
> handled is in OpenType.  I am no expert on it, but I imagine that it
> should be possible for a font to provide mappings for text in small
> caps and all caps that do away with accents for text set in these
> typographic contexts.

Indeed this is a solution. But it is not backwards compatible.
I do not expect font companies to release new fonts fixing this
issue. In addition, this requires to be able to enable an OpenType
feature, something that cannot be done with the present version
of fontspec. I have solved the problem of producing a correct
caps & small caps version of Ο άυλος αυλός, but even this
solution assumes that the correct \uccodes have been defined.
If you try \textsc{Ο άυλος αυλός} with an ordinary font you will
get nonsense!

A.S.

--
Apostolos Syropoulos