[tex-hyphen] Greek hyphenation patterns

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 19 14:07:40 CEST 2008

On 19 Jun 2008, at 12:54 pm, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> 2008/6/19 Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
>
> While I can understand your concern to improve the behavior for
> Greek, I'm a bit reluctant to make such changes at this level. My
> feeling is that the "built-in" behavior in xe(la)tex, provided by
> the default formats and unicode-letters.tex, should follow the
> defined international standards as closely as possible, even though
> this is not always ideal for particular languages.
>
> OK but what if the international standards are wrong? Users will
> use commands like \ΜakeUppercase{Απόστολος} and
> they will get ΑΠΌΣΤΟΛΟΣ which is wrong. If users will ask
> why they get wrong output what will be the response? That
> we follow standards that are wrong! At any rate.

Yes, we follow standards. They may not be perfect, so we allow users
to tailor the behavior to suit their needs, but we default to
following standards wherever possible. Any other approach invites chaos.

> The best solution is to make aware people willing to prepare Greek
> languge documents that they should use some
> new file xelatex.ini which I am going to upload to CTAN. This will
> be compatible with what xgreek.sty expects.

I would recommend that you do not try to modify the xelatex.fmt file;
there should be no need for a modified .ini file or a customized
format. Most users will not know how to build or use this. But simply
provide a package (e.g., xgreek.sty) that can be loaded at runtime.

Just saying

   \usepackage{xgreek}

in a document that wants this behavior should be adequate to load the
modified code tables, and is simple for users.

> PS Are you aware of any method/prcoedure by which I can file a bug
> to the Unicode consortium?

See the Unicode web site. <http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html>

JK