[tex-hyphen] Czech and Slovak hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 23:42:19 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Petr Olsak wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> Hello Mojca,
>
> sorry, I did not understand exactly what do you need.

Sorry, I could have explained you a bit better. See below.

>> Hello Petr^2 & others,
>>
>> To Petr Olsak, who is not subscribed to the list: we're trying to
>> prepare new unicode hyphenation patterns.
>>
>> See http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/ and
>> http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-hyphen/
>> (I can copy-paste a longer explanation from older threads if needed.)
>
> These URLs seem to be only an archive of discussion or changelogs. Sorry, I
> did not find here the files themself. May be it is my fault because I am not
> able to work with such a tool.

The files are stored under
    http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/
(you may browse through the repository).

But the files of particular interest to you are the following:

patterns themselves, in UTF-8 encoding:
http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/hyph-cs.tex
http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/hyph-sk.tex

pattern loaders:
http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-cs.tex
http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-sk.tex

conversion from UTF-8 into EC/T1/Cork encoding:
http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/conversions/conv-utf8-ec.tex

Or the equivalent:
http://tinyurl.com/5kj3q3
http://tinyurl.com/6xmaeo
http://tinyurl.com/6dj4fj
http://tinyurl.com/5u3mrl
http://tinyurl.com/67k6y4

>> I did not dare using the new loader for Czech and Slovak patterns
>> since I suspect that I do not understand the macros to their full
>> extent, and I have a feeling that these patterns might have used on
>> might be used with some other encoding (il2?). And they might be used
>> with some plain format.
>
> Our hyphen patterns are stored in encoding-independent way, specially by
> \v c instead ccaron etc.  The macros do the re-enconding work before the
> \patterns primitive is processed. Our hyphen patterns are used in LaTeX with
> babel, csLaTeX and csplain formats.

The new patterns are not really encoding-independent, but the
conversion into EC encoding should work OK (I hope). One should load
loadhyph-cs.tex which loads the converter first, and then the patterns
themselves.

I believe that conversion should be OK for both Xe(La)TeX and
pdfLaTeX, but I have no idea about csLaTeX and csplain. That's what I
would like to ask you about.

Do these patterns work OK in csplain and csLaTeX? (Even if they don't,
you may still load your own patterns in csplain, but it would be
really nice to unify as much effort as possible.)
The question is - if we put these new patterns into language.dat -
would everything else still work OK?

>> Currently XeTeX would load the new patterns, and pdfTeX & other 8-bit
>> engines the old ones. It could have loaded the new one, but I'm not
>> confident in all the possible border cases where the patterns might
>> have been used.
>
> I mean that you can do anything with our patterns, use it in XeTeX or
> another engines. I have only one wish which is very important for me. The
> csplain format in TeX distributions have not to be broken. The situation is
> similar as with plain format (and Knuth's wishes).

In theory it should work, but I have absolutely no idea about details
of how csplain/csLaTeX works. Hans even supported some il2 encoding in
ConTeXt (which was not compatible with ISO Latin 2), and I know that
you had some special fonts.

So if any CS user would be willing to check ... I would be most
grateful for that.

Thanks a lot,