[tex-hyphen] old pattern files, unused and used

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 14 19:52:30 CEST 2008

    Should files like slhyph.tex be already moved to obsolete now,
    together with a readme note? (Not with the intention to remove them
    in future, but with intention to warn people that they should better
    start using new files.)

Hmm.  First, my general theory is that anything moved to obsolete/ on
CTAN is not included in TL.  There is no obsolete directory in TL and I
don't want one.

Second, I don't think it's necessary bad for pattern files that are
truly obsolete and not used in TL to only be on CTAN.  I see no reason
for TL to carry around unused pattern files forever.  That's CTAN's job :).

Whether such unused patterns are in obsolete/ or elsewhere on CTAN is
going to be up to the maintainer/author of the pattern file.  I.e., you
would decide that for Slovenian (as far as I'm concerned).

    For greek we need the version 5 of patterns. I left them in
    repository for now (needed for testing).

Ok, but let's not include them in the hyph-utf8 package (= subdir), I
think.

    I have no idea whether we should also keep all the needed old
    patterns (such as German) in our repository - that's definitely up
    to you.

I'm not sure what class of patterns German falls into.

Do you mean the old patterns which are "needed" as your sources, or the
old patterns which you are not covering and are "needed" in TL,
independently of hyph-utf8?

karl