[tex-hyphen] naming Swiss German hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 18:50:06 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> German speaking hyphenation pattern team[*] is about to release
> experimental patterns for Swiss German language (traditional and
> reformed orthography), which differs from German language with respect
> to sharp-s handling.
>
> We'd like to follow Babel/Polyglossia/hyphutf-8 standards for naming
> files and language identifiers.  The question is, what would be proper
> names?
>
> (i) For XeTeX patterns?
>
> Wild guess:
>
>  gsw-1901.tex
>  gsw-1996.tex

I've seen the gsw language tag, but personally I would prefer

de-ch-1901
de-ch-1996

(CH should normally be uppercase, but due to occasional problems in
casing TeX files, lowercase is preferred).

http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry

> gswiss/ngswiss
> germansw/ngermansw
> germanch/ngermanch

(All of them seem a bit too messy to me. I would suggest slightly
longer names, but I guess that everything connected to
babel/polyglossia needs a bit of reworking.)