[tex-eplain] TeX--XeT

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Fri Oct 13 10:24:36 CEST 2023

> With Asian engines, I thought the text flowed vertically [...]

To the best of my knowledge, Chinese can be written vertically or horizontally, left-to-right or right-to-left.  In the long history of Chinese writing, there have probably been many variants.  I don't know about other Asian languages.

I think if you want to discuss CJK, you would be more likely find people knowledgeable on the subject on the Usenet group (or Google group) comp.text.tex.  eplain doesn't address the issue of typesetting Asian languages or right-to-left text.  I've used TeX--XeT, but there's not really much to say about it and I don't know anything about CJK.