[tex-eplain] TeX--XeT

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Fri Oct 13 07:36:04 CEST 2023

I don't know what you mean by two-bit or three-bit mappings.  TeX was originally designed for 7-bit fonts, which is why, for example, Computer Modern Roman has 128 characters.  Later, this was changed to 8-bit, so that a font may contain 256 characters.

While TeX's internal character encoding is, as mentioned, independent of the encoding of any given computer, in practice it is based on ASCII, so if you want to use the letter "A" for a different character from a different alphabet and the corresponding font has that character in position 65, then that will work.  Otherwise, there is something called "virtual fonts" which make possible to do a kind of indirect mapping.  However, I've never done anything with this and can't explain it.  There are some TUGboat articles about it.  A lot of work on fonts, particularly for making TeX work with PostScript fonts, seems to have been done around 2005, but it appears to have been pretty much wrapped up, as far as I know.  I don't really know that much about this subject.

Most people seem to use TeX because of its capabilities for mathematical typesetting and the Computer Modern fonts because they are one of the only font families that provide a fairly complete set of mathematical characters.  TeX was designed for use with METAFONT fonts but apparently a lot of people wanted to be able to use PostScript fonts, for some reason which is a mystery to me, so much work was done to make this possible.  This is an issue which is at most tangential to learning how TeX and the plain and eplain formats work.

TeX provides the means to map the characters available on your keyboard to the characters in the fonts.  This may not be convenient, which is why there are various packages to make it easier.  Nor was TeX originally designed to use PostScript fonts.  Neither CJK nor getting TeX to work with UTF-8 or Unicode or PostScript has anything to do with TeX in and of itself, plain TeX or eplain.  Beyond implementing some limited compability with LaTeX, eplain also doesn't have anything to do with LaTeX.

It's possible to use the eplain macros without a deeper understanding of how TeX works.  However, if your goal is to learn how (plain) TeX and the eplain macros work, I would suggest buying or borrowing one of the books on TeX, or see what (non-bootlegged) material is available online and work through it starting at the beginning.  Things like \newlinechar aren't really central to understanding how (plain) TeX works.