[tex-eplain] TeX--XeT

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Thu Oct 12 22:11:41 CEST 2023

TFM contains the metrics for METAFONT fonts.  Running MF creates "gf" ("generic font") files which are converted to to pk files using gftopk.  Then you can use them in TeX documents.  You have to tell kpathsea where to find them, so the easiest thing to do for experiments is to just leave the tfm and pk files in your working directory.

This technique is obsolete for most people.  TeXLive and MikTeX use the PostScript versions of the fonts they include by default.

My font names were just placeholders, they don't refer to real fonts.

Of course, 256 characters isn't enough for Asian fonts. Knuth wrote something about some trickery with the facilities for math fonts as a workaround, but I've never had any occasion to look into this.

> Am I to understand TeX-XeT can do LTR/RTL directions but *not* the complex languages that typically use RTL?

If you have the fonts, you can typeset in any RTL language.  It works for Hebrew and Arabic.

The commands for generating the generated files in the archive file are in the file Makefile.am.  I use Automake, so the actual Makefile in my sources is also generated.  Since it's full of things written by Automake and not particularly readable, I didn't include it.