[tex-eplain] TeX--XeT

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Thu Oct 12 11:21:58 CEST 2023

> I actually think turning letters and pages on their sides would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do for a couple of displays, though not as a general solution.  It really isn't hard to modify fonts in simple ways.

Just to show how easy this is, I've attached a compressed archive file ("tarball") containing some files from a project I was working on about a year ago and plan to work on again in the fullness of time.  I was working on 3D effects for fonts, so I was using 3DLDF instead of MP and MF directly.  It would be just as easy to rotate a character about the mid-point of its bounding box, or some other nearby point and that could be done with MF directly.

After one has sideways letters for typesetting, the problem is even easier than I thought.  All one would have to do is exchange the values for \hsize and \vsize and the offsets and just pretend that portrait is landscape and vice versa.

There might be a problem with parity (i.e., left- and right-handedness), but one would just have to figure out which way to typeset, left-to-right or right-to-left.