[tex-eplain] Thank you Laurence for glyph_test example; eplain won't load compatible packages

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Thu Oct 12 05:03:55 CEST 2023

> P.P.S. Regarding books, I certainly second Laurence's recommendation of
> The TeXbook. But not everyone does well with Knuth's unique style of
> writing.

It's worth it for the illustrations alone.  It may very well be true, that it's not to everybody's taste, but I would just like to mention that _The TeXbook_, _The METAFONTbook_ and the other books in the series "Computers and Typesetting" make TeX and METAFONT among the best documented programs of any that I know of --- and I know of quite of few.  Knuth and the late W. Richard Stevens, who wrote a number of books related to Unix, are two of the very best writers of books on computing.  And TeX and METAFONT were really only digressions from Knuth's "real" work on the mathematical analysis of algorithms (and teaching).  They are a fairly easy entry into a "world" of thought that goes far beyond just formatting documents that need a lot of mathematical symbols.  However, to paraphrase Knuth, they may be detrimental to one's other interests.