[tex-eplain] accents problem in pdf generated by eplain

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jan 22 22:44:07 CET 2022

What's necessary is for the ToUnicode in the final PDF to be correct.
I believe it is possible to do that with the original CM fonts,
because afaik ToUnicode can, in principle, say
<glyph for acute> + <glyph for e>
=> U+00E9 (Unicode eacute). Mapping font character codes to Unicode
characters is more or less its whole purpose.

The pdftex, dvips, xetex, ..., routes all operate in different ways and
can easily have different results. The viewer is yet another factor.
However, as I said, I have no recipes for any of it. Sorry. It's not a
simple problem.

My only other idea (I haven't tried it): for the limited case of common
European/French characters, perhaps using the Y&Y encoding (aka LY1 aka
texnansi aka 8y), which is essentially a superset of Latin1, will
"happen" to work for most characters since Unicode is also almost the
same as Latin 1 in the 128-255 range.  Probably easiest to try would be
the LM fonts, e.g., texnansi-lmr10.tfm.

None of this has anything to do with Eplain ... --good luck, karl.