[tex-eplain] accents problem in pdf generated by eplain

Laurence Finston Laurence.Finston at gmx.de
Sat Jan 22 18:38:47 CET 2022

> I confirm it recognizes accented letters, so one may wonder why the other viewers do not.

The other viewers recognize accented letters, they just don't recognize two glyphs, where the one for the accent is superimposed on the one for the letter.  I'm more surprised that evince does recognize this.

TeX installations generally (always?) use Computer Modern as the default font.  People often use other fonts and European Computer Modern was designed to look like CM.  If, however, you don't want to switch over to European Computer Modern entirely, you can define your accented characters like this:

\font\ecrm=ecrm1000
\def\aacute{{\ecrm\char<whatever>}}
\def\eacute{{\ecrm\char<whatever>}}
etc.

For the character codes, see the table for ecrm I sent you previously.   You can specify them in the definitions above in octal like this: '10 or in hexadecimal like this: "A.

You could try defining á, é, etc. as active characters, but this didn't work on my computer.

\catcode233=\active
\defé{{\ecrm\char<whatever>}}

The problem seems to lie with TeX or with shell:  In my editor, é is an ASCII character (one byte) but TeX interprets it as a two bytes.  However,
\accute, \eacute should be sufficient.

> Do you see something that I could modify to get things correct without modifying the page display?

Sorry, that's too much to look through.