[tex-eplain] Does xeplain.tex still exist?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jun 23 00:22:12 CEST 2009

Hi Jim,

    One of the things that made it difficult for me was my presumption
    that when I go to CTAN and download the eplain.tar.lzma file

There are two eplain.tar.lzma's on CTAN, one for miktex, one for tex live.
What is in them is up to the respective distribution maintains.

In the case of miktex, it does include the sources, that
eplain-source-3.2.zip.

In the case of tl, there is a separate eplain.source.tar.lzma.

FWIW, the original distribution is at ctan:macros/eplain (not to mention
tug.org/eplain).

   whether it just hasn't kept up with changes, or whether a newer
   version of ifpdf.sty breaks something in eplain.

Just hasn't kept up, next release will be up to date again.

    Even if the TL people

FYI, TL people = me (in this regard, anyway).

    don't want to include xeplain.tex,

It's not that I don't want to include it.  In fact, it *is* included.
In the zip file.  That was the simplest thing to do, as I explained in
my last message.

Now that we have exchanged so many emails about it: Oleg, how about
distributing source/eplain/xeplain.tex outside of
source/eplain/eplain-*.zip?  Seems like it should be easy enough to
arrange.  It is probably the only source file that is likely to be worth
separating out.  (Plus a README explaining the situation.)

    would it not be reasonable to
    have it in the eplain.tar.lzma which one finds at
    http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=eplain ?

That's the miktex tar.lzma.  Explained above.

karl