[tex-eplain] hyphenation patterns in plain TeX

Daniel Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Wed Aug 19 03:39:14 CEST 2009

> Babel would still be interesting if the other settings it makes were
> useful for Eplain, e.g., "Chap\^itre" vs. "Chapter".  I'm not sure if
> anything else it does is really relevant to (e)plain users, but I
> guessit could be in theory.  I'm also not sure if those
> multilingual "name"
> macros are even accessible through bplain.
>
> Did you run across anything like that in your experiments?

No, I spent all my time getting \selectlanguage to behave.

As I recall, things like \chaptername and \appendixname
are taken care of by babel, but are not all that relevant in
eplain (unless a user wants to make use of them).

What is probably more relevant is the language hook (e.g.,
\captionsportuges, etc.) which is run when a language
selection is made. However the macro \addto, for putting
code in the hook, seems to be undefined after my minimal
code. It is, however, easy enough to define.

A quick test with the code I posted shows that
\chaptername is undefined until \selectlanguage is
used. Then, it becomes defined for the relevant
language. After inputting <lang>.ldf, \captions<lang>
is define and contains a variety of such things.

Regards,
Dan
--
Department of Mathematical Sciences