[tex-eplain] different hyphenation patterns (recommended way of handling)

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 06:15:20 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 09:11:01AM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> what is the recommended way of using Eplain with different languages
> (i.e. hyphenation patterns).
> Is there something similar to Babel?
>
> Or do I have to generate different fmt files for each language?

You can try this:

  $ touch eplain.aux
  $ tex -ini eplain.ini

and then use the resulting eplain.fmt.  It should contain patterns for
many languages, including two kinds for German:

  $ tex -fmt=./eplain
  This is TeXk, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.6)
   %&-line parsing enabled.
  **\relax
  Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
  yphenation, croatian, ukrainian, russian, bulgarian, czech, slovak, danish, dut
  ch, finnish, basque, french, german, ngerman, ibycus, greek, monogreek, ancient
  greek, hungarian, italian, latin, mongolian, norsk, icelandic, interlingua, tur
  kish, coptic, romanian, welsh, serbian, slovenian, estonian, esperanto, upperso
  rbian, indonesian, polish, portuguese, spanish, catalan, galician, swedish, loa
  ded.

Best,
Oleg