[tex-eplain] Using eplain indexing with Context

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jul 19 15:59:47 CEST 2008

The Context indexing feature is inferior to the eplain-makeindex
tandem in several ways. It won't create or accept page ranges for
example. But the total eplain.tex macro set has several conflicts
with Context in that both want to redefine \footnote etc.

I have tried several times to whittle down eplain.tex to just the
indexing code but it seems I always delete something important.
There are lots of unexpected dependencies.  The book "TeX for the
Impatient" on which eplain is based does not contain the indexing
macros.

Is there a file anywhere that contains only the indexing parts of
makeindex,  but all the bits and pieces needed to make them work?

Right now I am reduced to extracting the raw index items from the
Context *.tui file and editing them by hand in gvim into an idx file.

--
John Culleton