[tex-eplain] Eplain and Context

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Mar 23 09:32:18 CET 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 12:25, Dan Luecking wrote:
> At 05:33 AM 3/22/2007, you wrote:

> I did this once, back in 2002 so it was based on the version
> of eplain back then. Instead commenting stuff out, I copied
> stuff to a file and kept adding things whenever an error
> indicated a need to. I did it solely to add an index of
> (TeX macro) commands to the documentation of mfpic, version 0.6,
> so it is somewhat specialized (only one index file and the
> \idx command was directly modified to do what I needed).
>
> After that version I started loading all of eplain, but by
> the time mfpic 0.7 was released I had switched to LaTeX
> for most of the documentation.
>
> If interested, that version of mfpic can be found at
>    http://comp.uark.edu/~luecking/tex/
> in the archive mfpic06c.zip. It includes the file
> doc/indexing.tex with those indexing macros. The beginning
> of that file briefly describes the alterations and limitations.
> I don't know if it will work with context (mfpic certainly
> never has).
>
> Given its reputation, it surprises me that context can't do
> everything eplain can do, and more.

Well it lacks features like "see also" and alternate sorting of
subtopics under a major heading. But more seriously I seem to have
uncovered a major bug and my deadline is Monday. I can't expect an
answer back that fast.

Right now I have taken the pdf file from Context, run it through
pdftotext, taken that file and converted all the page breaks to
\vfil\eject and now am putting in the eplain indexing tags. I have
used this technique before. But I would rather work directly in
Context.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting