[tex-eplain] Eplain and Context

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Fri Mar 23 17:25:50 CET 2007

At 05:33 AM 3/22/2007, you wrote:
>I want to use the superior facilities of makeindex and eplain.tex with
>Context. Unfortunately there are always name conflicts. Is there a
>way to define everything that is needed for indexing, and only those
>lines, in xeplain.tex or eplain.tex? I wasted some time commenting
>everything out except indexing but I managed not to be successful.

I did this once, back in 2002 so it was based on the version
of eplain back then. Instead commenting stuff out, I copied
stuff to a file and kept adding things whenever an error
indicated a need to. I did it solely to add an index of
(TeX macro) commands to the documentation of mfpic, version 0.6,
so it is somewhat specialized (only one index file and the
\idx command was directly modified to do what I needed).

After that version I started loading all of eplain, but by
the time mfpic 0.7 was released I had switched to LaTeX
for most of the documentation.

If interested, that version of mfpic can be found at
   http://comp.uark.edu/~luecking/tex/
in the archive mfpic06c.zip. It includes the file
doc/indexing.tex with those indexing macros. The beginning
of that file briefly describes the alterations and limitations.
I don't know if it will work with context (mfpic certainly
never has).

Given its reputation, it surprises me that context can't do
everything eplain can do, and more.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" --Adam Savage