[tex-eplain] using \leftdisplays with AMS' align etc.?

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 13:40:02 CET 2006

Sorry for such a late reply -- I was too busy the last few days to
look into this.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:56:06PM +0100, Stefan Becuwe wrote:
> Is there an easy way to get \leftdisplays working with AMS' align, gather,
> aligned, etc.?

I don't see a way how this can be done, short of rewriting \gather,
etc., or \leftdisplays.  The problem is that in the \leftdisplays
mode, Eplain actually typesets display formulas within "internal"
(non-display) math mode.  And \gather uses \halign, which is legal
only within display mode.  So the only way I see is to have
\leftdisplays redefine \gather and friends accordingly (which is
actually what \leftdisplays does with \displaylines, \eqalign, etc.).

Best,
Oleg