[tex-eplain] Eplain 3.0 announcement

Oleg Katsitadze geolsoft at mail.ru
Fri Sep 23 22:42:08 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:32:54PM +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> But there is a bigger problem: we might have some small change in spacing
> in texinfo.tex.

You mean, with different versions of texinfo.tex?  This
would not be a problem, because we distribute texinfo.tex
with Eplain.  (But the paper size problem still applies.)

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 11:34:20AM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> I am skeptical that anyone would ever read this.  And why do
> it only in eplain.texi?  You could make that same argument for every
> Texinfo manual.

As a matter of fact, texinfo.tex already prints similar
message (see definition of \refx):

  Cross reference values unknown; you must run TeX again.

but only at the beginning of the output, not at the end.
Maybe it would make sense to display the message in two
places, once at the beginning and once at the end of the
output (e.g., from \bye)?  This way, if somebody reads the
.log file, they will see it at the top; if they run from
command line, they will see it at the bottom.  (I agree that
it's unlikely that anyone reads the messages, but just in
case...)  So this way we (or other Texinfo manuals) will not
have to display any special message at the end.

> Let Oleg decide :).

I strongly prefer not to distribute them.  This will not
make Gerald happy, but it can possibly save users the
disappointment of incorrect indexes/references/table of
contents.  And it should be possible to install and use
Texinfo on Mac, or practically anything that TeX runs on, I
believe.

Thanks,
Oleg