[tex-eplain] Hyperlinks in Eplain

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Fri Jul 22 10:56:17 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:41:54PM -0400, Karl Berry wrote:
> I was imagining that the user would give a command to say they wanted to
> enable this new functionality, e.g., \enablehyperlinks.  The command
> could take an optional argument specifying the driver; that seems
> cleaner to me than a \def before \input eplain.  It could also thus
> override anything specified at \dump time.  (Not that I think many
> people dump eplain anyway.)

I think I got it this time.  I just want to make sure I
actually did:

  When eplain starts up, it has all hyperlinks disabled,
  making sure it behaves as close as possible to its
  previous release.

  If after loading eplain the user says \enablehyperlinks,
  the appropriate driver is autodetected, if possible; if
  not, we fall back to dvipdfm (for now; later it will
  become dvips).

  If user says \enablehyperlinks[NAME], we select driver
  NAME; if it is possible with the requested driver, we also
  check that the settings (like \ifpdf in case of pdftex)
  allow to create links, and if we think they do not, we
  warn the user and fall back to nolinks.

If this is what you have in mind it should be easy to
implement (just rename \hldriver to a more suitable
\enablehyperlinks, change its parameter to optional, and add
autodetecting code -- that should be it).

Please correct me if I am still wrong so that I could
provide the patch.  Sorry for being so dumb.

--
Best regards,
Oleg Katsitadze