[tex-eplain] Suggestion to make `nolinks' driver more robust

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Sun Aug 7 14:29:27 CEST 2005

Dear list members,

I've looked up a trick in graphics documentation which I
think we could use to make `nolinks' driver more robust.

The major weakness of `nolinks' driver now is that it does
not produce \special's which other drivers produce, and this
can affect spacing / page breaking.  But we can still
produce a whatsit by writing to the log using a command

  \write-1{SOME-TEXT}

`nolinks' could define \hldest to say

  \write-1{\string\hldest: LABEL}

\hlstart to say

  \write-1{\string\hlstart: LABEL}

and \hlend to say

  \write-1{\string\hlend: finished last link}

where LABEL is substituted by actual hyperlink label.  The
log will contain some garbage, but the typesetting with
`nolinks' will be much more consistent with `real' drivers.

What do you think?

--
Best regards,
Oleg Katsitadze